LASIK surgery has become well known for its ability to restore clear vision for patients while freeing them from their dependence on glasses or contact lenses. The benefits of LASIK surgery have been enhanced even further with custom LASIK, a blade-free procedure that is highly precise, and allows us to more accurately address each patient’s specific visual imperfections. This is one of the most effective and safest LASIK techniques available, which is why Dr. Raul Peña recommends it for his patients. By combining the expertise and skill of Dr. Peña with this advanced technology, we are able to provide patients with superior vision improvement. To ensure that the entire LASIK experience is a success for our patients, we provide each with specific post-operative instructions that are helpful in preventing infection after LASIK at our McAllen practice.
Eye Care after LASIK
LASIK is considered a safe laser eye surgery and carries an extremely low risk of complications. That risk is minimized even further when the bladeless custom-LASIK technique is used. Still, this procedure does leave the eye vulnerable to infection if proper post-surgical care is not provided. This is why it is extremely important to follow Dr. Peña’s post-operative instructions in regards to eye care. Below are some important tips for caring for the eyes after LASIK in order to prevent infection:
- Upon returning home from your LASIK procedure, plan to rest the eyes for several hours. We advise patients to take a long nap once they are home.
- In the first day or two of recovery, avoid putting any extra strain on the eyes. It is a good idea to refrain from using the computer, watching TV, or playing on a tablet or smart phone.
- Wear the protective eye shields that are provided as directed. This will help patients avoid accidentally rubbing the eyes, especially while they sleep. The eye flap created during LASIK can be easily damaged if it is rubbed, and this is one of the leading causes of infection.
- Avoid areas that are dry, dusty, or smoky, as this is likely to make the eyes feel dry and irritated.
- Use artificial eye drops liberally to keep the eyes feeling moist and comfortable.
- Use any prescribed antibiotic eye drops as directed, as this is one of the greatest tools in preventing infection.
- Attend all scheduled post-surgical appointments. This allows Dr. Peña to monitor healing and ensure that recovery is progressing as expected.
Benefits of LASIK
If the eyes are cared for properly after LASIK, patients are likely to get the most out of their LASIK surgery. In the majority of cases, LASIK surgery results in patients benefiting from vision that is 20/20 or better. For most patients, this means that they are able to see objects at all distances with an unsurpassed clarity, all without the use of glasses or contact lenses.
Schedule an Appointment
If you are tired of the costly upkeep and daily inconveniences of glasses or contact lenses, it may be time to consider LASIK surgery. Dr. Raul Peña will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding LASIK and let you know if you are an ideal candidate for this beneficial procedure. Schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience to learn more about our LASIK options. We look forward to hearing from you!